Thursday, October 28, 2010

Re: The Fecking Aging Process

Discussing 1980s mainstream pop in Britpop: Cool Britannia and the Spectacular Demise of English Rock (2003/04), John Harris writes about the "swaggering masculinity that united the likes of Simon Le Bon, Spandau Ballet, Tony Hadley and - ironically - Wham!'s George Michael" (4).

"Swaggering masculinity"? I seem to have watched a different movie. Spandau Ballet were only ever one thing: poofy - and Simon "Doughnut" Le Bon (by appointment to her Royal Highness Daft Di) simply fat.

But anyway, Harris's tedious and staunchly insular fan-journalism (hey, how about an international take on Oasis?) only serves as a cue-giver here. Really, what I want to write about is that Annette Humpe - icily androgynous godmother of what was known in these here climes as "Neue Deutsche Welle" - is 60 today.

Congratulations are in order (although I have to admit that it took me a while to get over the shock - I hadn't realised that it was that late already), not least because things like the following did send shockwaves through the cosy beige polyester living-rooms of late Cold War Germany (more than the pseudo-perviness of sweaty nonsense like "Wild Boys" ever would):



Oh, the Peroxide and lipstick combo! So cool!

And me still a mere babe with my whole life before me ....

2 comments:

Harvey Morrell said...

I have this on cassette along with songs by Trio (Da, da, da), Jawoll (Ich fahr Taxi), and Extrabreit (Polizisten) & (Hurra, hurra die Schule brennt!) among a host of others. Thanks for tapping my memory banks.

mikeovswinton said...

Harris? Can never work out whether he knows less about politics or music. Surely a natural for the sports desk?