Sunday, April 19, 2009

Through the bright ringing drone of 8-bit choirs

My first computer was a Commodore 64, which I believe I received on Christmas 1983.

(That was a remarkably good Christmas, as I also received a stereo with, as I recall, a JCPenney brand name. It had a radio, turntable, cassette deck and 8-track player. Given that I had a lot of older siblings, that 8-track got some use, I tell you....)

When I think back, it seems like I spent hours every day with that primitive hunk of plastic and silicon. At the beginning I had only a 'tape drive', meaning that loading any game worth playing took about a half hour. The later addition of a model '1541' floppy drive made things (a bit) quicker.

I loved that machine.

Hence, I found Benjamin J. Heckendorn's recent creation of a unique Commodore laptop to be something magical.

And instead of a 5 1/4 floppy drive, it has an SD card port.

Sweet!

As long as it could handle some Simon's Basic, Geos, Ultima IV and Elite, I'd be all over it.

Sadly, it seems to be a one-off.

But if you feel up to it, Heckendorn has posted an explanation of how to make your own.

(NB: instructions best viewed with the accompaniment of music by Kraftwerk or Yellow Magic Orchestra.)

(Via Spiegel Online. Title reference)

1 comment:

Dale said...

Fantastic! I received a knock-off of a Commodore 64 either that same Xmas or the one after. It's *still* the best computer I ever had in some ways, though I don't know what ever became of it.