Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lost at sea

Charlie Stross considers some of the likely results should Britain decide to actually leave the EU.

It's not a pretty thought.

The overall picture, then, is dismal: a flight by the investment banking sector, probable currency speculation directed against the (isolated and vulnerable) sterling market, re-emergence of tariff barriers hampering UK exports to Europe, a collapse in trade with the Commonwealth (at least, on terms favourable to the UK), and the final collapse of UK diplomatic/military power to second- or even third-rank status on a global scale.

But, on the upside I suppose, at last their cucumbers could be a crooked as they wanted them to be.

I can almost taste the liberty already. 

2 comments:

The Honourable Husband said...

"I can almost taste the liberty already."

Jolly good to see you back in the blogosphere, JCW.

John Carter Wood said...

Many thanks, HH! It's been more a matter of (lack of) time than of disinterest.

And I've been focusing my limited blogging time on the book-related one I've had running for a while now.

But I'm hoping to return to some reasonably regularly-scheduled programming soonish.

It's nice to be missed, though.