Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lost at sea

Charlie Stross considers some of the likely results should Britain decide to actually leave the EU.

It's not a pretty thought.

The overall picture, then, is dismal: a flight by the investment banking sector, probable currency speculation directed against the (isolated and vulnerable) sterling market, re-emergence of tariff barriers hampering UK exports to Europe, a collapse in trade with the Commonwealth (at least, on terms favourable to the UK), and the final collapse of UK diplomatic/military power to second- or even third-rank status on a global scale.

But, on the upside I suppose, at last their cucumbers could be a crooked as they wanted them to be.

I can almost taste the liberty already. 

2 comments:

The Honourable Husband said...

"I can almost taste the liberty already."

Jolly good to see you back in the blogosphere, JCW.

JCWood said...

Many thanks, HH! It's been more a matter of (lack of) time than of disinterest.

And I've been focusing my limited blogging time on the book-related one I've had running for a while now.

But I'm hoping to return to some reasonably regularly-scheduled programming soonish.

It's nice to be missed, though.