Thursday, January 28, 2010

If a body catch a body coming through the rye

J. D. Salinger has apparently died.

It's difficult to say anything original about The Catcher in the Rye, and there is most likely nothing all too unique about saying that this novel made more of an impression on my teenage brain than just about any other book did.

It's apparently sold something in the range of 60 million copies. So, I suppose I'm far from alone in saying something like that.

I read it probably a dozen times between the ages of...I think...15 and 22. It set me off on a tour of reading anything else of Salinger's I could find. I liked his other texts (especially Franny and Zooey) but nothing ever quite hit me like Catcher.

Maybe it's time I took another look.

So long, J. D.

4 comments:

Ario said...

Fanny?

JCWood said...

Well spotted.

Now fixed.

Must have been thinking of...Bergman.

mikeovswinton said...

Was Fanny and Alexander the one where the comedy uncle could fart out the candles? Or have I just imagined a seriously good scene for a film?

mikovswinton said...

Good old Youtube. It was Uncle Carl. Who says Swedes don't have a sense of humour.