Friday, November 11, 2011

Post-...um...brevity

Just in case you were looking for a one-sentence description of post-structuralism (and I know you were), Adam Shatz provides one in an LRB review (which is also otherwise worth reading) of a new biography of Claude Lévi-Strauss:
Inverting Lévi-Strauss’s favoured terms, Derrida and his allies celebrated diachrony over synchrony, events over structure, the exception over the rule, the periphery over the centre, the variable over the invariant. 

I hope to have cleared a few things up.

3 comments:

Francis Sedgemore said...

"celebrated diachrony"?

Beg pardon? I had a dose of that diachrony last year, and fucking unpleasant it was too. What does the missus have to say? She's a doctor, she should know.

JCWood said...

She reminds me that good hygiene is the best prevention for diachrony.

Glad to know you've recovered. That can be nasty...

Francis Sedgemore said...

"She reminds me that good hygiene is the best prevention for diachrony."

I've never been so insulted in all my life!