Sunday, June 17, 2012

'A photograph of a summer's day, a little boy's lifetime away'

I see that it's Father's Day back in the US (and in other parts of the world, though not here in Germany), and, without wanting to be a downer or anything, it occurred to me that this year will mark 25 years since my own father died.

Can it really be that many years?

Which led me to taking a long look at this photo, taken probably in 1971, of us together in the driveway of one of those various places I still think of as 'home'.



Which led me to this song.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I saw Billy play "Tank Park" in Milwaukee (front row) a couple of years ago. It was the only time I ever cried my eyes out at a concert. Here it is! I love youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUi7ZoGig6M

Alan S.

JCWood said...

I had the chance, in Washington, DC, sometime in the late 90s, to tell Billy how much this song meant to me. I was 17 when my father died. There were tears shed. And a hug shared. It is one of those Most Important Moments saved in my brain.