Tuesday, July 21, 2009

... versenkt!*

R.I.P. Heinz Edelmann - the German illustrator who came up with the design for Yellow Submarine:



You didn't know that, did you? The Beatles seem to have had quite a penchant for Hun artists - just think of Klaus Voormann of Revolver fame.

Only recently, my bro and I spoke about the trailer Edelmann did for German TV, which in the 1980s heralded late-night horrors like Polanski's Dance of the Vampires or Murnau's Nosferatu.




Still sends shivers down me spine ....

Well, Edelmann's involvement in the Scouse U-boot musical throws an entirely new perspective on the famous bathroom scene from A Hard Day's Night - in which John mumbles a frothy kind of mock-Tscherman whilst drowning his toy boats (I've been waiting for an opportunity to post this for a while):




And by way of association:



Which proves my hypothesis that sometimes Spike Milligan stole from John Lennon rather than the other way round.

* "Sunk!" That's how you announce your virtual victory when playing "Battleships" in Germany!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Das muss das Boot abkönnen....

Nele