Friday, October 06, 2006

Brutally criticised till he was spitting blood...

If things went down as this lawsuit (via This Modern World) claims they did, we are certainly witnessing an interesting extension of the concept of violence.

According to the lawsuit filed at U.S. District Court in Denver, Howards and his son walked to about two-to-three feet from where Cheney was standing, and said to the vice president, "I think your policies in Iraq are reprehensible," or words to that effect, then walked on.

Ten minutes later, according to Howards' lawsuit, he and his son were walking back through the same area, when they were approached by Secret Service agent Virgil D. "Gus" Reichle Jr., who asked Howards if he had "assaulted" the vice president. Howards denied doing so, but was nonetheless placed in handcuffs and taken to the Eagle County Jail.

And there I was thinking that Cheney was such a tough guy (via Boing Boing and not safe for most workplaces, children and overly-sensitive republicans).

After all, he did shoot someone in the face.

Wuss.

2 comments:

Richard Morgan said...

JCW.

I hope your mother is doing well. My mother has moved on, A nice way to say it.

I have to say your writing on (What's so funny 'bout) peace, love and understanding? Was very interesting to me. But this last blog I hope has something to do with your work on violence. I notice the synopsis of your book on your web site said "The complex and dynamic interactions between civilization and custom are revealed through topics such as streetfighting, policing, sports, community discipline and domestic violence". And I will have to buy a copy! If it does not have to pertain to your work then, Please don't be offended, but sounds like Ann Coulter of the left. I just said that to get into a deeper conversation with you. Anyway take care.

RJ.
email. Tanker1ad@gmail.com

P.S. Lived in Germany for 5 years.
Bad Kreuznach/Gelnhausen.

JCWood said...

RJ,

Thanks for your feedback, but I reject completely the comparison with Ann Coulter. Not only am I a much better writer...I'm also far better looking.

As to my book: do keep in mind that it's not the cheapest bit of historical wisdom out there. You may wish to check that it's available at your local (university) library first. If not, please do encourage them to order it. Or, if money (and enlightenment) is for you no object, then by all means...buy one for each member of your family!!

My comments about Cheney are not really directly related to my academic/historical work...except, I suppose, for the fact that I do spend a lot of time thinking about the limits between acceptable and unacceptable physical force. This is a culturally and historically variable boundary, even though, I think, there are cross-cultural and trans-historical continuities.

My point was merely that if Mr. Cheney isn't tough enough to soak up a little bit of verbal criticism (assuming that things went as claimed in the lawsuit, about which I make no definitive claims) then he has no business participating in the invading of other countries and sending other people to do his dirty work for him.

Some people, as we know, can dish it out but they can't take it...

And such people are not very popular here at this blog.

Thanks again, as ever, for your support.